Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rotary Park Shelter

My first project out of the gate...in fact my dad volunteered me for this one even before we moved from New York...is a new shelter for the Main Street Park in Montpelier.  The park is located on the site where Montpelier's High School once stood - also the site of my Master's thesis project.  Now a park without a shelter, the Montpelier Rotary Club have decided that they want to make an investment here.

My task was to design a shelter that has some class - especially considering that the residential neighborhood is composed of some of the best architecture in town.  With the help of my in-house critics (my wife and parents) the details bring to mind the transition between Victorian and Craftsman of 1900-1920 (the period of the neighborhood) and the proud railroad heritage of Montpelier.

The resulting project nearly knocked their socks off!


We are now in the process of receiving bids from local contractors.  The club hopes to have it completed by July - just in time for Montpelier's big summer festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment